Thursday, November 25, 2010

Module 6 Blog Post

Many educators are afraid of technological change. As a teacher working on a degree in technology, I feel it is my responsibility to help those worrying about using a new tool or program. My school has a faculty meeting and a department meeting each month. I think the time spent in these meetings could be more effective. As new technologies are introduced to schools, I think teachers should model how to use them. Often there are various teachers who have found a resource or program that enhances the classroom. Teachers can share these findings and demonstrate how easy it is to use it.

For example, my colleague introduced me to Destination Math that is provided by the Georgia Department of Education. It is a great tool for math. The site is broken down by concept; each concept has tutorials, interactive practice, and teacher and student worksheet copies. Destination math is based on an outer space theme that teaches each concept. A teacher explained and demonstrated using this program during a department meeting. She provided an informational handout while we went through a concept together; she served as the teacher and we were the students.

I felt comfortable with this program when we were finished. I also felt if I had any questions on it, she would assist me. I think sharing and modeling is a great way to help others transition into using technology on a daily basis. The expert has to display an open mind and patience. I did not feel like a burden when asking my colleague questions. People need to feel comfortable coming to the expert with questions. The key is letting your peers know you are available to assist and make the transition as easy as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment