Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Module 1 Post

Simonson has excellent views on distance learning. I agree completely with him. He discusses the advances in the number of people partaking in distance learning over the past five years and his prediction that it will grow exponentially in the coming years. However, he explains that distance learning will not completely replace traditional education. He believes everyone will be included in the distance learning; this includes k-12, post secondary school, professional development, and trainings.

I agree with Simonson in so many ways. As the world changes so does school. Households are not what they used to be. Many families are single parent homes with working moms that need to return to school in order to make more money, but they don't have time. Distance learning is an optimal choice for them. The Internet and personal computer has offered many more options that were not available before. As society continues to advance, I believe schooling will too.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I know I would not be getting my advanced degrees if I had to go to the traditonal classrom. Distance education gives me the flexibility to work around my work schedule and my families busy schedule. At times it can seem discouraging when I have questions about an assignment and I have to wait a day or so for an answer, however in the big picture I am happy with my higher education choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Distance learning, I agree is a sign of the times. We are a mobile society but have we lost contact with social contact with others?

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good information and I will also have to concur with the previous post by Marcia. I do wonder about the social interaction although distance learning has made learning more accessible and convenient. I keep going back to how often you see people in situations where interaction is necessary and using cell phones when in stores. Distance learning has the potential to further disengage us on some level. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tosh,
    It does isolate you! I call my next door neighbor? I could just as well walk over and talk to her. Is it need for instant gratification or commincation or just laziness?

    I was just treated on the train to a Doctor calling a patient to tell them they had cancer! Everyone listening was wondering, what wonderful bed side manner. Are we insensitive to what people hear about our private lives?

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. I think DL will be integrated with traditional schooling. The key is getting the teachers to stay current with the technology. In the past there were teachers who could teach the same lessons the same way for 30 years. This is not the state of teaching anymore. We have to meet the students where they are to get them to respond to what we are trying to teach them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that distant learning is becoming very popular. I'm not sure it will ever overtake face to face instruction, but I think that there will eventually be open parking spaces at universities across the country as distant learning becomes more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Burian,

    I noticed as gas prices go up, distance learning becomes more popular.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete