Sunday, January 10, 2010

Module 3 Discussion

My classroom is set up in groups. I have six groups of 4. Each of my students are expected to work in groups throughout the week. At the beginning of the year we have a conversation of creating a classroom community. I discuss how each person is expected to contribute to the group as a whole. I connect it to out of school and the workforce. I explain to my students how we are expected to work with our co-workers regardless of if we like them or not. We must be respectful and cannot "shut down" because we don't like who we are sitting next to. ( I teach 7th grade)

I an effort to help encourage students to work well with one another I do a positive reward system. I keep a point system for each group. Groups get points for all having homework, being on task when others are not, working exceptionally well together, and so on. They loose points for being too loud, not working together, leaving their group a mess, and being off task. At the end of the week the group with the most points gets a small prize; candy, homework pass, extra credit pass, ice cream pass, sit where you want pass. At the end of the nine weeks, the group with the most points gets to eat in my room and I bring an assortment of desserts. I change groups each nine weeks.

I group my students in flexible groups. I have one high, one low and two medium. It is amazing how the high person can motivate the lower student to stay on task. Also, candy goes a long way for a student who does not stay on task. The students will tell on each other when they don't all participate. I don't give the same grade for all members unless they all contributed equally. I am a big fan of rubrics, that have the jobs for each member.

Siemens discusses the struggling student making great improvements compared to the more advanced student making minimal improvement. I feel that groups have the potential to help the struggling student even more. Sometimes that struggling student needs a little more motivation and push to help him get over the edge. As for their grades, I often grade on ability. If they give their best effort then their grade reflects it. I do a lot of effort grades in math. I don't know what the experts have to say on it, but so far I have had great results on our end of the year state test!

I have attached a template that I modify for group work. I often use it when I do a game so they have a role. The turn it clockwise each round so each person gets a different job. I change it with jobs as well.
http://www.slideshare.net/mhtilson/group-game-2909805
Here is a short clip that summarizes collaborative learning. It is funny and cheesy, but it explains exactly what it is. It made me laugh! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brcjODFBEuE

8 comments:

  1. Don't you find that grouping a high with a low or even medium learner can sometimes create conflict within the group? If so, how do you handle that conflict? Ex: High learner doesn't have the patience to "teach" the low learner or the low learner thinks the high learner is being "bossy" or such.
    2. How do you assess the struggling student vs the advanced student?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I have had trouble grouping students, for some reason it works this year. My students work well together; I don't fully understand why. Their dynamics mesh well. I grade them individually. When we do projects, I hold my high student to higher expectations than the lower preforming student. For example, if they don't simplify a fraction, they get the whole problem wrong compared to the low student who looses 1/2 credit. I have extention activities for the early finishers. I have 29 in my co-lab this year: 9 IEP and 3 ESOL. They are my best class! I think part of it has to do with middle school; I am the only class that they sit in groups. It is something different so they enjoy it and let it work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My links aren't wokring! I am trying to get that fixed. From my home computer they do, but not other computers, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Positive reinforcements are great with younger students. They also work to a point in high school. In the adult world, however, I feel like at work I am the one who always ends up doing all of the work. I don't do it for praise (because I really don't get any), but I do it for the good of the students and the school community. My principal appreciates my work, but relies on me heavily when others could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting way of grouping your students. At my school we ability group so we switch students for high, med, and low math/reading. Within my ability grouped students I again split them into ability and/or interests and differentiate my lesson plans in order to have each student reach their potential. Sometimes I wished I had flexable grouping to see what would happen with the lower group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burian,
    I would love to have ability groups! I have not worked with it so I might be totally off, but I think it would make things so much easier! I hate having kids all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiana,

    I hate that you have to pick all the slack for your teammates. I guess I am spoiled at my school. We work so well together and truly have a school family. We call it the Evans Family. It says a lot about your character that you do it for your students when they need it!

    ReplyDelete