Sunday, February 7, 2010

Module 5 Discussion

I find myself between static and dynamic. I have the resources to be dynamic. I have a Smart board, clickers, Elmo document presenter, and every manipulative and math game imaginable. I teach at a Title 1 school, and our principal does a wonderful job of making sure we get all the funds in the classroom. Even though I use the technology I have on a daily basic, I don't consider myself a dynamic teacher to its full potential. Just because technology is in the room does not mean you are dynamic. The technology has to be used correctly and used to enhance learning. The students should get something extra from the technology. I can give my same notes on the white board. They don't learn anything extra from my technology use.

I find with my gifted class, I use my dynamic teaching methods. For example the students had to make a scale drawing of the class last week while we were studying scale factors. I gave them a list of objects in the class that needed to be included. I gave them an assortment of materials; all of which they did not need. I told them to come up with a scale factor, and create the classroom. They had a computer to assist if needed. I find with gifted kids, they are better problem solvers and critical thinkers. I can let them do more than the standard teaching and worksheets.

Here is the link to my concept map. After looking at others and graphics it puts mine to shame. I have the content, but it is not a pretty! http://www.slideshare.net/mhtilson/concept-map-mc-cullough-m

Here is a concept map that stood out to me

Kianna's blog:http://kobysmomsblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/static-vs-dynamic-technologies.html

9 comments:

  1. Margaret,

    How do you think you can help your other students to become more conceptual learners and build their problem solving skills? Using technology or some other method?
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you increase the size of the Slide?

    Old eyes an I can't see it.

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What grade level do you teach? I think you make a great point about the fact that having the technology in the room does not make it effective. Do you think that projecting notes electronically grabs the kids attention more than writing notes on a chalkboard?

    P.S. Thanks for the compliment on my concept map.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret,

    How is the video coming? We want to win the creativity award? I think we are a shoe in with Kiana!

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kiana,

    I teach 7th grade math. I sometimes think projecting it on the Smartboard helps them more. I often ask how they want the notes document presenterr or Smartboard. 9 times out of 10 they say Smartboard. I personally like the lined notebook paper on the documnet presenter. The notes seem more organized to me, but my students think otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marcia,

    My video is coming along. It will be posted sometime Friday, more likely later in the evening!

    I think it takes a lot to help students develop a better their problem sovling skills. It is something I am constantly working on. I don't think technology is always the answer. They need to learn to think independently! A lot of the time it comes down to practice and willingness of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you that the technology needs to be used correctly if a teacher wants to move out of the static status. Students should get something out of the technology if it being used.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great thread. I have many students that are totally amazed at notes or worksheets that we are discussing that are projected through the Elmo however they coudl care less about the interactive videos for their math lesson. Technology is only as effective as its users.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since you find yourself between static and dynamic, I think you're on your way. I always tend to think it's more about the students using the technology and the teaching guiding the process, much the way we are in a distance learning environment.

    ReplyDelete